Sunday, June 13, 2010

Blog Post #3

Don't Teach Your Kid's This Stuff. Please? By Dr. Scott Mcleod

Dr. Scott Mcleod is an Education professor at the University of Iowa. He heads a Continuing Education Program that prepares school superintendents to bring their districts into the 21st century.
I believe Dr. Mcleod is spot on about what we must do. He uses sarcasm to get his point across clearly that we must teach our kids about technology. If you take a look around it is easy to see that there are dangers all around us. If we send our kids outside to play they may get stung by a bee our fall off the swing but we still allow them to go play. We get in our cars each day with danger lurking at every intersection but we still drive, for that matter, we teach our kids to drive so they can be subjected to even more dangers of the road. They have little skills or experience to help get them from point A to point B but we do it anyway. In today's society we must learn to drive in order to thrive and it's no different with technology. We must teach our kids and guide them on how to properly drive in our techno world as well as the highways and byways if they are to be expected to keep up and make it in our ever changing world.
I have a 14 year old son and until about two months ago he knew more about the computer than I did. I finally have surpassed him and plan to keep it that way for as long as possible. I think that as adults we are so busy that we don't have the time to spend on the computer as our kids do and they pass us up in the technology. We are their teachers and we can't expect them to learn from us about the opportunities available through technology nor how to use them properly if we don't know things that they don't. Teachers must prepare themselves to teach for the future.


The ischool Initiative

I think this student did a fabulous presentation and it is a great idea but there are many roadblocks to consider. The primary limitations would come through limited parental interaction. Many parents would have to be educated on how to use the technology and it would need to be mandatory to have parental interaction or some authority figure to hold the student accountable for this to work with all students. Also, what about the monthly fees for access to these services? The itouch is a valuable item and could easily be sold, traded or stolen. How could each student be held accountable for his itouch? This would be alot of pressure on a child.
I think interactive classrooms on home computers similar to our EDM310 class would be more realistic to start with. Every school could have an online school like the one at South. It would be great to have access to the applications he showed us on the itouch. It would take a linking of various technologies but I think it could be done and would greatly benefit our students and our environment in the long run.


The Lost Generation

Wow! What a ride and an eye opener. I have been on the first part of this video. I have worked seven days a week leaving little time for my family. I have missed many of the special things that my first two children did when they were little because I was not there and the business always came first. This is time I can never get back. In our fast paced competitive society sometimes you have to work that hard to compete and survive but I can tell you first hand that money is not everything and I am now trying to live this video in reverse just the way they reversed the script. I had to make a complete career change at the age of 40 for this to be possible. I do not know how to get employers who are "hell bent" on beating the competition and staying on top, always wanting more from their employees at the expense of the employees family, to accept this change in thinking. I do think that in some cases by working smarter and making use of the technological tools we have available to us that we may be able to work our way back toward the beginning of this video and live in a world where families come first.


Eric Whitaker's Virtual Choir

I think the use of technology in the video is amazing. I know that there are rock bands currently producing records and the members of the band are all recording individually from different states and never play together in the same room. While this is amazing and it allows for people to create musical works that otherwise would not be possible it is sad at the time. I am a singer who has performed with choirs small and large and there is such a feeling of unity when you are in a room singing together.It is a sense of achievement that you can celebrate together. From this video I feel a sense of solitude and loneliness. Imagine getting married over the internet and not getting to be with your partner to kiss the bride or groom or to celebrate with a honeymoon. Musical creation requires such a personal connection that I think it is lacking when people are removed from each other.I think that linking people together through technology is a beneficial thing but it has its limits.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked what you posted in the "Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?" It brought a new perspective to my eyes! I agree with your last sentence completely!!! This class has definitely opened my eyes and by reading this post helped bring it all "to light". Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,

    This comment is not necessarily technology based but you made a really good point about being a working person and missing some of the things that are truly important in this life and I wanted to comment on that today. I have two little girls, 9 and 6, and I work a number of hours a week so I understand your plight and empathize. When I saw this it made me also reevaluate my priorities and think about the time I spend with my family. I think in this fast paced world we all need to take stock in what is important to us and make that a priority. My heart and soul were jolted when I saw this and your comments hit home for me.

    ReplyDelete